Monday, January 17, 2011

Pizzas

The first few weeks of this "cleanse" I had the luxury of only having to work three or four days each week. This week, I worked six out of seven days and things slipped a little. I had green smoothies most mornings (except for the morning it spilt all over the floor of my car - Ugh!) but only juiced two days. I still found four days to get in my yoga practice but only one day to actually do some cardio. Now, I have three days off before one day of work and a three day weekend to go visit my hubby's little sister (AND she's one of my best friends, how lucky am I?!?). We're also going to a concert at the Knitting Factory. One of our favorite bands, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals will be performing Saturday! If you haven't heard of them, check out some of their videos here. Rolling Stone says, "The Nocturnals third disc tilts from Janis Joplin-esque bluster, to laid-back singer-songwriter soul that recalls a toughened-up Norah Jones, to Alanis-like blasts of epic recrimination.”

 They are my go-to band on early morning commutes to work. I'm jammin' and belting out lyrics and in no time, awake and in a much better mood before getting to work.

Friday evening, we made homemade pizzas on a gluten free crust. We gathered up our ingredients to come up with a delicious veggie version for me and a spicy pepperoni pizza for my hubby.

Gluten Free Crust:
We used Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Crust Mix to make the crust. The only additional ingredients you will need are olive oil and two eggs. The first crust I used their instructions and put on a greased sheet and spread with wet hands. This didn't work too well for me and ultimately the crust stuck to the pan. What a pain! The second crust, I used plenty of GF flour and rolled out with a rolling pin. I then transferred it to a pizza stone prepared with corn meal to keep the dough from sticking. This worked much better. The crust didn't stick to the pan and the cornmeal bottom added some crunch! I'll definitely be using this method again.


I chopped some fresh basil, garlic and pinenuts to add to olive oil and sun-dried tomato chevre Amaltheia Organic goat cheese (the best from Belgrade, MT). I used this for my base and topped with spinach (tossed with olive oil), roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, pine nuts, pepperoncinis and a little more goat cheese.





Now it was time to be patient

Lola - She's not allowed in the kitchen so she sits and waits as close as she can :)


Tomato sauce, pepperoni, pepperoncinis, jalepenos, mozzerella cheese

We love our pizza stone we received for a wedding gift (Thanks A & C)!
I had to have one beer with my pizza..might as well make it a good one :)
Pike's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale

 
MMMmmm
The first bite was everything I hoped it would be. It was bursting with flavor and I was definitely tempted to eat the entire thing. It's a good thing I resisted because this was filling and we were both stuffed afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...