Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Cleanse..

So far things have been going really well. Yesterday I did my yoga and had a green smoothie for breakfast, a veggie stir fry with brown rice/red quinoa for lunch, and African Peanut stew with a large salad for dinner. I took my Vitamin D and acidophilus supplements and drank many cups of tea. I don't believe I've been this hydrated in a long time and I feel great! After dinner, I made some green juice for the next morning.








For me, the first step towards success is having a plan. I am a shameless list maker, I have one for everything! I make a grocery list for the week and go grocery shopping for a few planned meals and healthy snacks. Having a well stocked fridge makes me happy! I love grocery shopping and usually spend far too much time and money but it helps me be prepared for when the cravings set in or when I come home from work hungry and don't feel like cooking. In returen, we eat out less and eat healthier.

As for the green drinks, I adjusted the suggested recipe for a beginner and came up with these:
  
Liquid Energy:
  • 1 inch section of fresh ginger root
  • 3 celergy stalks
  • 2 mini cucumbers
  • 1 c spinach
  • 2 pears
  • 4 romaine
This produced about 12 oz juice. I served my juice in a wine glass with a wedge of lemon squeezed into it and a pretty lemon slice floating on top. 




Since yesterdays smoothie went so well, today I amped it up a bit:

Green Machine Smoothie:
  • 1 c unswtd choc almond milk
  • 1/2 c coconut water
  • 1 small banana
  • 1/2 c blueberries
  • 1 scoop Spirutein chocolate protein powder
  • 2 c baby spinach leaves
  • 1 c chopped kale
  • A couple handfuls of ice
(If you like a rich, chocolatey flavor, you can add a few Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder. There's only 10 cal/Tbsp and cocoa is an antioxidant) This made about 3 cups of smoothie (I like mine more like a juice, reduce the amount of fluid if you like a thicker smoothie) and totaled about 350 calories. Not to mention it provides 3 servings of veggies and 1.5 svgs of fruit. :)  
I

Positive vibes & veggies <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...