Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lemon Berry Muffins

When I volunteered to bake something gluten-free, cane sugar-free and vegan for a work potluck, I'll admit I was a little terrified what the outcome would be. I pictured dry, dense muffin impostors that tasted closer to cardboard and goopy ill-flavored puddles that wouldn't rise properly.  Nonetheless, I browsed through my multiple cupboards of cookbooks and found the perfect one, 'Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book.' I had used it before to bake cardamom spice cupcakes topped with chai buttercream frosting, both were surprisingly tasty.

 Lucky for me (and my coworkers), these muffins were no different...subtly sweet with a delicate crumb. I taste tested one and then another, just to be sure, before moving on to the hubby.  He agreed that they actually had a really nice flavor (sometimes certain bean and whole grain flours can be a bit overpowering) and that I should indeed bring them to the potluck. I packed them snugly into a Tupperware dish that still has my mom's name scrawled on the side, and they were all ready to go for the next morning. Then after all that hard work, I completely forgot to grab the muffins as I dashed out the door to work. Who does that??? Well, apparently this girl, but in my defense it was 5:30 in the morning and I hadn't had my coffee yet.  :) Not to worry, I brought them in the next day and all twelve muffins were devoured by the next morning. One of the gals liked them so much that she even went out and purchased the cookbook. Initially I was a bit frightened of the challenge but I'm glad I found another go-to recipe for a gluten-free and vegan treat. If you or anyone you know cannot tolerate gluten, try these muffins. The refreshing combination of lemon and fresh berries makes them the perfect summertime treat.







Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. brown rice flour
  • 3/4 c. garbanzo bean flour, sifter
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 c. maple syrup (I used 1/2 c. local fireweed honey + 1/2 c. pure maple syrup)
  • Zest from 1 small lemon
  • 1/2 c. raspberries (I used chopped strawberries)
  • 1/2 c. blueberries
Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the brown rice flour, garbanzo bean flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the olive oil, water, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, lemon zest and maple syrup. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the olive oil mixture until smooth.

Divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin tin cups lined with paper liners and top with berries.

Bake until muffin tops are golden and slightly firm to the touch, 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...