Want to jazz up your favorite cupcakes? Try this exotic recipe from Jennifer Katzinger's 'Flying Apron, Gluten-Free and Vegan Baking Book'. The rich, spicy tones of chai and cardamom are balanced by the sweetness of vanilla and powdered sugar. The final product is a smooth, unforgettable frosting that will leave you licking the paddles and possibly even the bowl. Spice up a plain ol' vanilla or chocolate cupcake or try it atop these cardamon spice cupcakes for an elegant treat.
- 2 cups of palm oil
- 6 2/3 c powdered organic whole can sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 c hot, strongly steeped chai tea
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a standing mixed fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the palm oil and powdered organic whole can sugar until soft. With the mixer on medium speed, add the salt, cardamom, cloves, chai tea and vanilla. Continue to beat, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally, until smooth and fluffy. To achieve the desired consistency, turn the mixer to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use right away, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. When you are ready to use the frosting, warm it slightly in a double boiler, or with a metal mixing bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, and whip it again until it is fluffy.