In 2002, Jennifer Katzinger opened up Seattle's Flying Apron Bakery. To create healthier delicacies, she uses alternative sweeteners such as maple syrup, agave and concentrated fruit juice along with whole grains and pure, organic cold pressed oils. Aditionally, to accommodate more customers, she made the decision to completely eliminate soy, gluten, dairy and eggs. Are you wondering how she can run a bakery without any of these common items?! I was too.
|If you're ever in the Fremont neighborhood, swing on by the Flying Apron Bakery!|
Today was my first day off since I purchased the cookbook so I decided to try the cardamom spice cake recipe. I made 36 cupcakes and frosted them with chai "buttercream" frosting. Oh. My. Goodness. These cupcakes are a true indulgence. The flavor is reminiscent of an old-fashioned spice cake but the rich, creamy frosting, adds a whole new dimension. I think next time I might even add a little orange zest to the cupcake batter for an extra kick.
- 4 cups brown rice flour (I bought in bulk section of Fred Meyer)
- 2 cups garbanzo bean flour, sifted (Bob's Red Mill in health food/gluten free section)
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups agave syrup, pure maple syrup or concentrated pear juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place cupcake liners in pan or line bottom of 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the brown rice flour, garbanzo bean flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamom in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, combine the olive oil, water, apple cider vinegar, vanilla and agave syrup. Slowly whisk the flour mixture into the olive oil mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the better into the prepared muffin tins and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15-23 minutes (for the cake, about 30 minutes).
- After the cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with your favorite frosting or try Chai "Buttercream" Frosting.
|Topped with Chai "Buttercream" Frosting.|