Recipe adapted from Eating, etc.
Makes about 6 tacos
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1 large yam or sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 c onion, coarsely chopped
- 3T olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp Mexican spice blend* (See Below)
- 2-1/2tsp ancho chile powder, divided
- 1/2tsp fine sea salt
- 1-2 large garlic clove, minced
- 1c fresh tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 15oz can black beans, with their liquid
- 1/4tsp - 1/2tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 small white corn or whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2c Monterey jack, colby jack, cojita, or feta cheese, shredded or crumbled
- Lime wedges
- Plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Blacken whole jalapenos on grill or in cast iron pan on stove top, turning, until skins are charred and blistered in spots. Remove from heat. Stem, seed (if you don't like the extra heat, Dane makes me leave the seeds in) and chop the peppers. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss cubed sweet potatoes and onion with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the Mexican seasoning blend, up to 1 teaspoon of the ancho chile powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss until well-coated.
Spread sweet potato mixture in a thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet (lightly oiled or covered in foil for easy clean-up), so that no pieces are touching each other. Roast in oven for 25 minutes or cook over medium heat on the grill until edges have begun to brown, stir at half-way point.
In a medium saucepan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add minced fresh garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
Add tomatoes and allow to bubble briskly for 5-10 minutes or until tomatoes reduce down to a loose sauce.
Sprinkle remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder and a pinch of cumin over tomatoes; add jalapenos, black beans with their liquid, & salt. Cook beans over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring carefully so beans retain their shape. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
In a small skillet, over medium heat, warm tortillas in olive oil for 30 seconds on each side, or until tortilla bubbles. Plate with paper towels in between each tortilla to keep warm and soak up oil.
To assemble tacos, using a slotted spoon if necessary, spread a few spoonfuls of beans onto warm tortilla. Add a mound of roasted sweet potato. Sprinkle with cheese or yogurt, chopped cilantro, guacamole, salsa, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and your favorite Mexican beer. I suggest Dos Equis Amber or Negro Modelo, with a sliver of lime! :)
**Mexican Spice Blend:
- 1-1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper