Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies

Every few weeks in elementary school, I waited in the salad bar line for a pump or two of my favorite peanut butter. I would grab three small, white paper cups and fill them to the brim. I remember it being the best peanut butter EVER! Nothing like the stuff in the jar my mom brought home from the store, it must be an extra special recipe. Lucky for me, one of my friend's mothers worked at the school and I soon discovered the secret ingredients! You'll never believe it,  they simply added honey and ground cinnamon. Really?!?! That's it?? Feeling slightly fooled, I started a tradition that would unknowingly continue into my adult years.


I believe childhood memories have a huge impact on what we cook as adults and it was that specific memory that influenced this next recipe. When it came time to make peanut butter cookies, it seemed like a no-brainer to add local honey and ground cinnamon. Mmm, the memorable flavors sparked that happy spot in my brain and left me completely helpless. The dough was calling my name and before I knew it I had already downed countless spoonfuls. Go ahead and sample the raw dough, an undeniable advantage of egg-free recipes. However, don't forget to save some for baking, you won't want to miss out on these chewy morsels.


Ingredients
  • 3/4 c crunchy peanut butter (I like Adam's)
  • 1/2 c vegan margarine (Try Earth Balance)
  • 1 c light brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp local honey (leave out for vegan cookies)
  • 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk (Try So Delicious Coconut milk)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds mixed into 3 Tbsp warm water
  • 1 3/4 c flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda

Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream the peanut butter, margarine, and brown sugar. Add non-dairy milk, vanilla, and flax mixture, beat.
  • In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add dry mixture to wet; mix well.
  • For easy clean up, drop by rounded tablespoons, 2″ apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Flatten lengthwise and crosswise with a fork.
  • Bake 6-8 minutes. Store in an air-tight container.
Enjoy fresh out of the oven, with a glass of milk.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danielle! Your peanut butter cookies look delicious! We can't wait to bake a batch and wash them down with a cold, tall glass of So Delicious Coconut Milk! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...